Corresponding to a human rights grouping, Beirut has documented a 180 percent surge in coronavirus cases since the city was shaken by the blast that killed at least 178 people earlier this month.
Nervousness has grown over how the city’s health facilities will manage a second COVID-19 eruption, as the Lebanese capital persists to recuperate from the fallout of the shocking blast, which also injured thousands and has left 300,000 people homeless.
Lebanese Government Enforces New Two-Week Lockdown
The fatal harbor outbreak demolished at least three major hospitals, putting them out of use, and damaged another two.
One of the toughest hits, amongst the country’s main COVID-19 treatment and testing resources, was St George.
Masses of clinics and health centers in the capital are non-functional, which was discovered after an evaluation organized by the World Health Organization (WHO). An anticipated 500 beds have been lost in total.
Now, a charitable aid group, the International Rescue Committee (IRC), has advised that Beirut is confronting the likelihood of a new wave in cases that could further cripple a city already on its knees.
It said, since 4 August, agencies had documented a 180 percent rise in cases, the day of the explosion, with 589 new viruses reported on Wednesday alone, the highest daily figure since the start of the epidemic.
Country director for the IRC in Lebanon, Matias Meier, said, ‘People are still trying to retrieve from the destruction caused by the explosion, they are still trying to process what happened. And none of the concerns that they had before the explosion, have gone away.’
Matias Meier added, ‘People still cannot provide food. People are still out of work and 70,000 more have now apparently been left jobless. For Lebanon to have a chance at getting back on its feet, we need to halt the COVID-19 from propagating any further.’
During the recent surge in cases, the Lebanese authority declared earlier this week that it will enforce a two-week lockdown to suppress the virus. From Friday, markets, shopping centers, gyms, and pools will have to close and there will be an all-night curfew.
Lebanon Does Extraordinary Job of Tackling The COVID-19 Virus
The WHO stated last week that Lebanon had done a very remarkable job of facing the coronavirus, which has killed at least 107 people in the nation since February.
Though, even before the explosion there had been a rising movement in the daily statistics of new cases, urging the government to announce a restricted lockdown to improve handle hospitals’ caseloads.
Rendering to the most recent data from Johns Hopkins University, while COVID-19 cases were at more than 3,300 on the day of the eruption, this number has since climbed to 10,347.
The IRC said, confronting the new constraints that come into place on Friday, that ‘people’s livings are likely to further worsen’.
Ms. Meier said, ‘Without financial assistance, weak populations will remain to struggle in silence putting lives at danger during a weakening health system, disintegrating economy, and a raging hazardous infection.’